Bomb Threat - General Safety Program 1.16.2
McNeese State University
Vice President of Business Affairs
Office of Environmental, Health, Safety & Hazardous Waste
- To provide guidelines for handling a bomb threat to ensure that information can be accurately
communicated to University Police in a timely manner.
- Any individual that receives a bomb threat or has knowledge of a threat must contact University
Police as soon as possible.
- If you receive a bomb threat:
- Stay calm.
- Keep the caller on the telephone as long as possible.
- Contact University Police while you are completing the checklist at:
- #111 if calling from an on-campus extension
- 475-5711 if calling from a cell telephone
- Complete a 'Bomb Threat Action Checklist' (Section 7: Forms) as soon as possible.
- This checklist is to be kept under or near your telephone at all times.
- McNeese officials, working in conjunction with the Building Coordinators, Crisis Response Team, Building Evacuation Team, members of law enforcement and emergency response personnel will determine appropriate actions to be taken.
- Evacuation team members will direct persons to exit quickly, calmly, and quietly
- Evacuees will be advised to refrain from using any electronic device until further notice.
- Lights that are on are to be left on.
- Doors that are open are to be left open.
- Evacuees are to be routed to a predetermined safe location.
- Using class and personnel rosters, a determination will be made as to whether or not all personnel have been safely evacuated.
- During evacuation, if a suspected explosive device is noticed:
- DO NOT DISTURB IT
- Leave the area immediately
- Report finding to University Police